whole black gram – 1 cup (soaked overnight)
Bengal gram whole/ split chana dal – 2 tbs (soaked overnight)
Ginger-Garlic paste- 2 tsp
finely chopped onion – 1 medium sized
Tomato Puree- 1 cup
heavy whipping cream- 1/2 cup
Red Chilli Powder- 2 tsp
turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
cumin seeds- 1/2 tsp
salt to taste.
Method of Preparation:
- Add soaked urad dal and chana dal to a pressure cooker.
- Add salt , and 2 cups of water, close the lid and cook it for 5-6 whistles on medium flame.
- Turn off the flame, and keep it aside until all the pressure cooker is cooled.
- Take an another wide pan, on a medium flame add butter to the pan.
- Once the butter is melted, add cumin seeds and let them pop -up.
- Add onions and fry until they are done.
- Add ginger-garlic paste , turmeric powder and cook for a while.
- Mash the dal in the pressure cooker.
- Add the dal to the pan and cook for a while.
- Add tomato puree and cook until it thickens.
- Add red chilli powder to the curry, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add Salt , Garam masala and green chillies.
- Finally top it with cream and turn off the flame.
- Garnish it with fresh cream and chopped ginger.
1.You can add rajma/ kidney beans instead of chana dal
2.You can omit cream, if you dont like using it.
3. Adding chopped ginger enhances the flavor of dal.
serve it hot with , roti, rice or jeera rice.
Have a great week ahead.